[Python-Dev] Relative Package Imports

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:08:36 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Note that I did not want to start a discussion about absolute vs.
> > relative names (I believe everybody agrees that realtive file names
> > are a Good Thing). The 'import __.module' thing is not new: ni.py
> > had support for this and my patch simply adds it back to the
> > implementation.
>
> It was left out of the 1.5 package implementation on purpose, and I
> will fight proposals to get it back.  It is an ugly hack that deserves
> to die.  So there!

I agree that it's ugly to include the __ attribute in the module
namespace due to the possible circular reference (parent->module,
module->parent), but the patch I sent doesn't do this... or was
"ugly" referring to the two underscores looking strange ?

Could you elaborate a bit on the reasons for dropping __ support ?

Not-really-looking-for-a-fight-here-<wink>-ly,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                   109 days left