[Python-Dev] Relative Package Imports

James C. Ahlstrom jim@interet.com
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 15:37:11 -0400

Gordon McMillan wrote:

> But both you and Jim are aiming for this non-existant in-
> between space - in some respects you want a "normal"
> Python installation, but you want to black-box your turf.

I don't really have much choice here.  For some purposes,
PYTHONPATH is better than a black-box.  It is better for
development because it avoids creating the black-box.  And I can
look at and modify Python app and library files directly.
But for a customer install I need a bullet-proof dumb-simple set
of required state which I can explain to customer support staff.
Thus the need for both.

> I'm sorry, but if you're going to fit into a Python installation,
> you should make public your dependencies. Yes, installation
> becomes more complicated, but you're dealing with *Python
> users*. They're at least as likely to get screwed by having
> multiple different copies of the same thing around as you are
> in having dependencies outside of your personal control.

I can't fit into a Python installation because Python installations
do not support commercial software concerns.  I am not dealing
with Python users, my customers are office workers.  They don't
know what Python is, have no other Python apps, and if they did,
my install wouldn't hurt them anyway.

> If you also want to distribute as a standalone, freeze/squeeze/
> whatever it. Just make sure that what you distribute this
> way won't interfere (or be confounded by) any existing Python
> installations.

Yes, exactly my goal.

Jim Ahlstrom