[Python-Dev] License cleanup

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:42:28 +0200

> The BSD-ish license that Python has always used is much more preferable. I
> dislike the regulation of the "Python" name, the requirement to
> prominently discuss modifications made, and the revocation clause.

same here.  reading the new one made me feel very
uneasy, but I cannot really say much about it before
I've discussed it with people who know more about
this...

just a few small notes:

the BSD-ish license used up to now has been a major
selling argument for Python, while this one seems to
really push the bounds of what qualifies as an open
source license...

(it also seems to imply that Python is a trademark,
which is, as far as I can tell, is not true at this time.
and archive corporation/seagate already owns the
trademark wrt. software).

the worst thing is that we will have to run this
by our lawyers before we can decide whether to
continue contributing to 1.6 development :-(

</F>