[Python-Dev] Towards a Python based import scheme

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 22:01:01 +0200

Back again...

To get a little more constructive I've started hacking away
on Greg Stein's imputil.py to make it work with my DateTime
package. The DateTime packages does a lot of from...import...
and intra-package imports, plus it loads a shared lib as
extension.

The original version of imputil I fetched from Greg's page
did work out of the box (from...import... hassles) and
obviously did not support in-package shared libs. I've added
both features so that the test script in DateTime can run
successfully.

Things that remain are:
 the win32 registry stuff (needs C code)
 the Mac fork stuff (needs C code)
 a working __path__ implementation (is anyone using this attribute
  which only is available in packages ?)
 probably a whole bunch of other quirks
 some speedups (there currently are too many stat()s)

Please give it a try:

	http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/imputil.py

in color:

	http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/imputil.py.html

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                   107 days left