[Python-Dev] Relative Package Imports

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@python.org
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:16:42 -0400 (EDT)

    >> I think we're safe from this for the forseeable future through
    >> convention and peer pressure.

    JF> 8^o

    JF> (I feel like I should respond to this in some way but ....
    JF>  I just can't understand this kind of argument and don't
    JF>  know how to frame a response.)

Maybe I should have included half a smiley.  Python may eventually
need package naming rules as strict as Java's.  I think it's a good
idea now for those who are writing packages to consider trying to pick
unique top-level package names.  We might decide to release our stuff
under the `cnri' top level package.  That's probably unique enough.
Or `koe', or if we're really paranoid us.va.reston.cnri.koe :-!

Personally, I think `Mailman' as a top-level package name is pretty
unique, so I don't plan to change what I'm doing there.

-Barry