[Python-Dev] License cleanup

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us (Barry A. Warsaw)
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:37:01 -0400 (EDT)

    GS> Definitely having an OSI certification will be great (cool
    GS> stuff on the cert for the existing license!). Having Bruce
    GS> Perens review the license would also be a great boon (see
    GS> www.perens.com for some of his writings; also see
    GS> http://perens.com/Termination.html specifically).

Interesting article, but IBM's termination clause was different than
the JPython one.  I fought hard on para7 because IIRC, RMS complained
that an earlier version /could/ have been used to arbitrarily
terminate.  I think the current JPython para7 is better because /you/
have to materially breach, which seems like a much higher threshold.
But it still may not be perfect.

Aside: don't necessarily think I'm a grinning fan and defender of the
JPython license.  It's a huge win over what we had before, and I think
it's good enough that nearly anybody who wants to do Real Things with
JPython, now can.  I've had only one question about the license since
it was published and that was about the "displayed prominently" clause
(i.e. was it okay to include the alternative handle text in an "about"
menu pulldown?  That seemed prominent enough to my nonlawyerly brain.)

I'm glad to see the Python community push hard for the "other side's
viewpoint" with reasoned and rational arguments.  I think that such
ammunition when we re-evaluate the licenses.  It means that ultimately
we'll have the right license for Python (and JPython).

Thanks,
-Barry