[Python-Dev] Re: Path hacking

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:38:03 -0400

James C. Ahlstrom wrote:

[Guido explains Windows registry usage]
> Thanks.  This is very useful.
>
> But it doesn't help, perhaps as a result of more of my
> prejudices. This registry entry is meant to be used by a
> by-the-rules shared Python installation, so I must not change it.

Without trying it, I doubt you have to. It looks like you could
set the resource to something that won't be found in the
registry, and then just use normal Python mechanisms.

> ... IMHO the Windows registry is a software catastrophe
> which ranks right up there with JCL (anyone else here old enough
> to remember that?).

Ah. In a rush to get it down to ops, tripping at the head of the
stairs and sending the card deck flying... Those were the days.

- Gordon