[Python-Dev] Re: Path hacking

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:39:51 +1000

> > you can do this without recompiling!  The version string is used
is
> > embedded in a resource, so you can patch it using some kind of
> > resource editor.  Mark Hammond planned it this way!
>
> I don't understand this.  Is there documentation?

Vague documentation at
http://www.python.org/windows/python/registry.html

Doesnt explicitely say much about this particular issue, and if I
remember I will update it.

VC will allow you to edit these resources without rebuilding - simply
open the DLL, but select "Resources" as the file type.  I havent
investigated other resource editors as I have MSVC :-)

Greg pointed you to the win32api functions - they do work, as Greg
provided code that uses them (the code he pointed at was done by
him) - although I never actually worked out how to make them work
(  I spent about an hour trying to get code to re-stamp the
Python15.dll with a new sys.winver, and gave up.  Would be cool to get
going tho...

Mark.