[Python-Dev] Re: Path hacking

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:48:26 +1000

> But it doesn't help, perhaps as a result of more of my prejudices.
> This registry entry is meant to be used by a by-the-rules shared
> Python installation, so I must not change it.

No - the point is that the "1.5" key is "reserved" by a standard
install.  Changing the string value actually allows you to have your
own subtree, and you can assume you own that.

For commercial apps I help with, re stick a "AppName" in this string
(doesnt have to be a number) then simply use
"HKLM\Software\Python\AppName"

> And I hate changing any registry entries at all.

Well, you should learn to get over it!  That is what it is designed
for.  sure, we dont want the users to muck with the registry, but if
you dont like your install scripts working with the registry, I
definately feel you should get over this prejudice of yours.

> only minimal and required registry entries.  IMHO the Windows
registry
> is a software catastrophe which ranks right up there with JCL
(anyone
> else here old enough to remember that?).  Anyone who doesn't agree
> should
> go with me to our money center banking clients, and sit there
> while they
> grill you on every registry entry and why it is required.
> Money center
> banking clients do not like their registry messed with.

The registry is a huge bucket.  Changing your own, custom kep under
either HKLM\Software\ or HKCU\Software is perfectly reasonable.

Many apps _require_ you to hit the registry - services, event log,
performance monitor, etc.

The fact the registry _also_ contains critical information is a
problem, and sure, we dont want to mess with that.

> My current "solution" is to use freeze to create a black-box
install,
> and worry about second Python installations and wasted storage when
it
> happens.

well, IMO this is also the correct thing to do.  any install that has
>100 files is fragile.  So I do both - freeze the app, _and_ a custom
"sys.winver".

> I was hoping that this thread whould result in a consensis of what
> to do, but it has not.

There is a consesus for people with the same problem.  Different
problems have different optimal solutions.

Mark.