[Python-Dev] License cleanup

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:35:01 +0100 (NFT)

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Please send in the form -- the license was a totally separate issue
> that I shouldn't have brought up in the same mail (or at all, in this
> stage anyway -- we'll work this out with the Python consortium members
> first).

ok.

> > BTW, I'm surprised by the fact that in an Open Source world I'm asked
> > to sign a licence agreement with CNRI or to send e-mails for contributed
> > code. If Python or Linux had had such constraints from the start, they
> > wouldn't have been what they are today.
>
> Unfortunately, that's the price we have to pay.  What we get is legal
> protection from CNRI.  In general CNRI has contributed a lot to
> Python; probably more than you realize.

I realize that. But I also realize that in case of a problem, the wet
form protects CNRI, not the contributor.

Hm. And what happens if you get hit by a bus? Or in 100 years when
we'll dance with angels in Paradise? Will Python stay bound to CNRI
with little legal possibilities to detach it, in case our successors
(or you) start working in another organization? IANAL and curious.

--
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr