[Python-Dev] Tackling circular dependencies in 2.0?

Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:29:55 -0500

I think in Python 2.0 it would be nice to have some way to reclaim circular
dependencies without the programmer explicitly having to do something like
implement a destroy() method and requiring other programmers to (remember
to) call it.  I forget what the current state of affairs is w.r.t. future
memory management in Python.  Not knowing anything much about memory
management, would it be possible to have a sort of mixed ref count/garbage
collection system where you only use the gc stuff as a last resort?  My
thought is that it would be useful to use gc to find and reclaim circular
garbage.

can-you-tell-I-just-got-bitten-by-a-circular-reference?-ly y'rs

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip@mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/~skip/
847-971-7098   | Python: Programming the way Guido indented...