[Python-Dev] Preview of some distutils news

Greg Ward gward@cnri.reston.va.us
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 13:57:51 -0400

Judging by the recent traffic on python-dev, lots of people here are
interested in the problems of distributing and installing Python
modules.  So I thought y'all might want to know that I've finally got
some interesting news to report on the distutils-sig, and will shortly
be reporting it, soliciting feedback, testers, etc.  If you're not
already on that list, this might be a good time to join.

(Oh, the news?  Distutils can now compile and install NumPy, PIL, and
mxDateTime (just because I happened to have those three distributions
sitting around on my home PC).  Of course there are all sorts of caveats
and limitations, so c'mon over to the distutils-sig if you want to hear
what they are and discuss how to fix them.  Later this week, of course,
after I've checked in all the relevant code.)

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                    gward@cnri.reston.va.us
1895 Preston White Drive                           voice: +1-703-620-8990