[Python-Dev] Tackling circular dependencies in 2.0?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 18:43:22 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Not calling the destructor will cause leakage in all objects
> > allocating extra storage, such as lists, instances and
> > probably just about any dynamically sized object there is in
> > Python... solving the problem only half way. Plus you will
> > definitely run into trouble as soon as external resources
> > are involved, e.g. open files or connections to databases.
>
> If I remember well, the only destructors not called would be __del__
> methods, since the dependencies between to-be-deleted instances are
> unknown to the collector.  Regular (C-level) destructors would of
> course be called.

Ok, so low-stuff will not break. But what about e.g. wrappers
around these low-level (C-level) objects written in Python, e.g.
database abstraction classes ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                   101 days left