[Python-Dev] Naming and Binding of Objects (was: Relative Package Imports) (fwd)

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 12:46:48 +0100 (NFT)

David Ascher wrote:

> [...]

If I find some spare time, I'll do it. This paper is a classic in Comp Sci
that we kindly invite our students to read. In research language, we say that
Saltzer has made "the turn around the clock" regarding this issue, putting
a period on it (i.e. there's hardly something more to say).

It's interesting, however, to see how the theory was applied on Python and
to establish the fairly easy analogy of the binding model. This analogy
proves the good design choices Guido has made, but also reveals some
weaknesses or the incompleteness of the current implementation. I hope
to discuss this for Python 2 in due time and perhaps settle on a compromise
which trades genericity for performance. The naming/binding problem drives
the whole implementation logic in Python (objects, classes, scopes, etc.).

> So, if anyone wants a copy, I can make and send copies (which would make
> most sense for folks in the US -- sending things from France isn't cheap).

I have 2 more copies lying around, ready to be sent. Give me an adress.
The first 2 adresses win a hard copy, no matter the location (don't worry
about mail costs.)

--
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr