[Python-Dev] Naming and Binding of Objects (was: Relative Package Imports) (fwd)

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 08:31:04 -0400

I've started reading the paper and agree that it's very good!

> It's interesting, however, to see how the theory was applied on Python and
> to establish the fairly easy analogy of the binding model. This analogy
> proves the good design choices Guido has made, but also reveals some
> weaknesses or the incompleteness of the current implementation. I hope
> to discuss this for Python 2 in due time and perhaps settle on a compromise
> which trades genericity for performance. The naming/binding problem drives
> the whole implementation logic in Python (objects, classes, scopes, etc.).

I'd like to hear what those weaknesses are in your eyes.  I can think
of two areas myself: (1) sys.path, $PYTHONPATH etc.; (2)
class/instance attributes in the context of subclassing and evolution
of the base class.  (I don't expect the paper to take a stance on
nested scopes.)