[Python-Dev] Windows installer pre-prelease

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 01:18:28 -0500

> The Windows installer is always hard to get just right. ...
> I'd love to hear that it also installs cleanly on Windows 95.  Please
> test IDLE from the start menu!

All worked without incident for me under Win95.  Nice!  Would still prefer
that it install to D:\Python-1.6\ by default, though (instead of burying it
under "Program Files" -- if you're not on the Help list, you can't believe
how hard it is to explain how to deal with embedded spaces in paths).

So far I've seen one system crash in TK83.DLL upon closing an IDLE window,
but haven't been able to reproduce.  OK, I can, it's easy:

Open IDLE.
Ctrl+O, then navigate to e.g. Tools\idle\config.txt and open it.
Click the "close window" button.

Boom -- invalid page fault in TK83.DLL.  No time to dig further now.