[Python-Dev] Windows installer pre-prelease

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 02:44:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Tim Peters wrote:
> > The Windows installer is always hard to get just right. ...
> > I'd love to hear that it also installs cleanly on Windows 95.  Please
> > test IDLE from the start menu!
>
> All worked without incident for me under Win95.  Nice!  Would still prefer
> that it install to D:\Python-1.6\ by default, though (instead of burying it
> under "Program Files" -- if you're not on the Help list, you can't believe
> how hard it is to explain how to deal with embedded spaces in paths).

Ack! No way... Keep my top-level clean! :-)

This is Windows. Apps go into Program Files. That is Just The Way It Is.
When was the last time you saw /python on a Unix box? Never? Always in
.../bin/? Thought so.

Cheers,
-g

--