[Python-Dev] Windows installer pre-prelease

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 03:08:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> wrote:
> > > All worked without incident for me under Win95.  Nice!  Would still prefer
> > > that it install to D:\Python-1.6\ by default, though (instead of burying it
> > > under "Program Files" -- if you're not on the Help list, you can't believe
> > > how hard it is to explain how to deal with embedded spaces in paths).
> >
> > Ack! No way... Keep my top-level clean! :-)
> >
> > This is Windows. Apps go into Program Files. That is Just The Way It Is.
>
> if you're on a US windows box, sure.  but "Program Files"
> isn't exactly an international standard...

Yes it is... if you use the appropriate Windows APIs (or registry...
forget where). Windows specifies a way to get the localized name for
Program Files.

> we install our python distribution under the \py<version>,
> and we get lot of positive responses.  as far as I remember,
> nobody has ever reported problems setting up the path...

*shrug*  This doesn't dispute the standard Windows recommendation to
install software into Program Files.

> > When was the last time you saw /python on a Unix box? Never? Always in
> > .../bin/? Thought so.
>
> if the Unix designers had come up with the bright idea of
> translating "bin" to "whatever might seem to make sense
> in this language", I think you'd see many more non-std in-
> stallations under Unix...  especially if they'd made the root
> directory writable to everyone :-)

heh :-)

Cheers,
-g