[Python-Dev] DLL in the system directory on Windows.

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 04 Apr 2000 11:45:39 -0400

> Some time ago Tim and I said that the place for a DLL that is
> intimately tied to an EXE is in the EXE's directory.

But the conclusion seems to be that python1x.dll is not closely tied
to python.exe -- it may be invoked via COM.

> The search path:
>  1) the EXE's directory
>  2) the current directory (useless)
>  3) the system directory
>  4) the Windows directory
>  5) the PATH
>
> For a general purpose DLL, that makes the system directory
> the only sane choice (if modifying PATH was sane, then
> PATH would be saner, but a SpecTCL will just screw you up).
>
> Things that go in the system directory should maintain
> backwards compatibility. For a DLL, that means all the old
> entry points are still there, in the same order with new ones at
> the end. For Python, there's no crying need to conform for
> now, but if (when?) embedding Python becomes ubiquitous,
> this (or some other scheme) may need to be considered.

Where should I put tk83.dll etc.?  In the Python\DLLs directory, where
_tkinter.pyd also lives?