[Python-Dev] DLL in the system directory on Windows.

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 08:51:01 +1000

> I wonder if the pathname should also be an 8+3 (max)
> name, so that it
> can be relyably typed into a DOS window.

To be honest, I can not see a good reason for this any more.

The installation package only works on Win95/98/NT/2000 - all of
these support long file names on all their supported file systems.

So, any where that this installer will run, the "command prompt" on
this system will correctly allow "cd
\Python-1.6-and-any-thing-else-I-like-ly" :-)

[OTOH, I tend to prefer "Python1.6" purely from an "easier to type"
POV]

Mark.