[Python-Dev] Why do we need Traceback Objects?

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:51:41 +0200 (CEST)

[Christian]
> > When I look into tracebacks, it turns out to be just a chain
> > like the frame chain, but upward down. It holds references
> > to the frames in a 1-to-1 manner, and it keeps copies of
> > f->f_lasti and f->f_lineno. I don't see why this is needed.
> > Does this make sense? Do I miss something?

[Guido]
> Yes.  It is quite possible to have multiple stack traces lingering
> around that all point to the same stack frames.

This reminds me that some time ago I made an experimental patch for
removing SET_LINENO. There was the problem of generating callbacks
for pdb (which I think I solved somehow but I don't remember the
details). I do remember that I had to look at pdb again for some
reason. Is there any interest in reviving this idea?

--
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr