[Python-Dev] RE: DLL in the system directory on Windows

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:47:06 +1000

> > However, as we import data from Python16.dll rather then purely
> > addresses, we can't use any of these interception solutions.
>
> What's wrong with:
>
> #define PyClass_Type *(GetProcAddress(hdll, "PyClass_Type"))

My only objection is that this is a PITA.  It becomes a maintenance
nightmare for Guido as the code gets significantly larger and
uglier.

> I have only looked at PythonCOM15.dll, and it seems that
> there are only references to a handfull of exported data items:
>
> some Py*_Type, plus _PyNone_Struct, _PyTrue_Struct,
> _PyZero_Struct.

Yep - these structs, all the error objects and all the type objects.

However, to do this properly, we must do _every_ exported data item,
not just ones that satisfy COM (otherwise the next poor soul will
have the exact same issue, and require patches to the core before
they can work...)

Im really not convinced it is worth it to save one, well-named DLL
in the system directory.

Mark.