[Python-Dev] test_fork1 on Linux

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:45:29 -0400 (EDT)

  I've just checked in changes to test_fork1.py make the test a little
more sensible on Linux (where the assumption that the thread pids are
the same as the controlling process doesn't hold).
  However, I'm still observing some serious weirdness with this test.
As far as I've been able to tell, the os.fork() call always succeeds,
but sometimes the parent process segfaults, and sometimes it locks
up.  It does seem to get to the os.waitpid() call, which isi
appearantly where the failure actually occurs.  (And sometimes
everything works as expected!)
  If anyone here is particularly familiar with threading on Linux, I'd
appreciate a little help, or even a pointer to someone who understands
enough of the low-level aspects of threading on Linux that I can
communicate with them to figure this out.  Thanks!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>