[Python-Dev] httplib again

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 12:53:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> You're just asking for exposure.  But unless it's installed as
> httplib.py, it won't get much more exposure than if you put it on your
> website and post an announcement to c.l.py, I bet.

Hmm. Good point :-)

> > > (Plus, just because you're you, you'd have to mail
> > > me a wet signature. :-)
> >
> > You've got one on file already :-)
> >
> > [ I sent it back in December; was it misplaced, and I need to resend? ]
>
> I was just teasing.

:-)

> > > I am opposed to a net.* package until the reorganization discussion
> > > has resulted in a solid design.
> >
> > Not a problem. Mine easily replaces httplib.py in its current location. It
> > is entirely backwards compat. A new class is used to get the new
> > functionality, and a compat "HTTP" class is provided (leveraging the new
> > HTTPConnection class).
>
> I thought you said there was some additional work on compat changes?

Oops. Yah. It would become option (2) (add compat stuff first) by dropping
it over the current one. Mostly, I'm concerned about the SSL stuff that
was added, but there may be other things (need to check the CVS logs). For
example, there was all that stuff dealing with the errors (which never
went in, I believe?).

> Oh well, send it to Jeremy and he'll check it in if it's ready.  But
> not without a test suite and documentation.

Ah. Well, then it definitely won't go in now :-). It'll take a bit to set
up the tests and docco.

Well... thanx for the replies. When I get the stuff ready, I'll speak up
again. And yes, I do intend to ensure this stuff is ready in time for 1.6.

Cheers,
-g

p.s. and I retract my request for inclusion of davlib. I think there is
still some design work to do on that guy.

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/