[Python-Dev] ANNOUNCE: Python 1.6 alpha 2

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 16:29:16 -0400

I've just released a source tarball and a Windows installer for Python
1.6 alpha 2 to the Python website:

  http://www.python.org/1.6/

If you missed the announcement for 1.6a1, probably the biggest news is
Unicode support.  More news is on the above webpage; Unicode is being
discussed in the i18n-sig.

Most changes since 1.6a1 affect either details of the Unicode support,
or details of what the Windows installer installs where.

Note: this is an alpha release.  Some of the code is very rough!
Please give it a try with your favorite Python application, but don't
trust it for production use yet.  I plan to release several more alpha
and beta releases over the next two months, culminating in an 1.6
final release before June first.

We need your help to make the final 1.6 release as robust as possible
-- please test this alpha release!!!