[Python-Dev] Arbitrary attributes on funcs and methods

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 12:56:24 -0400

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

>   BAW> Think about my proposal this way: it actually removes a
>   BAW> restriction.
>
> I think this is really the crux of the matter!  The proposal removes
> a useful restriction.
>
> The alternatives /F suggested seem clearer to me that sticking new
> attributes on functions and methods.  Three things I like about the
> approach: It affords an opportunity to be very clear about how the
> attributes are intended to be used.  I suspect it would be easier to
> describe with a static type system.

Having to be explicit about the method <-> regex / rule would
severely damage SPARK's elegance. It would make Tim's
doctest useless.

> It prevents confusion and errors
> that might result from unprincipled use of function attributes.

While I'm sure I will be properly shocked and horrified when
you come up with an example, in my naivety, I can't imagine
what it will look like ;-).

- Gordon