[Python-Dev] #pragmas in Python source code

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 22:10:21 +0200

Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
> > XML?
>=20
> Don't get me started.  XML is not a language.  It's a serialization
> format for trees (isomorphic to s-expressions, but five times more
> verbose).

call it whatever you want -- my point was that their way of handling
configurable encodings in the source code is good enough for python.

(briefly, it's all unicode on the inside, and either ASCII/UTF-8 or
something compatible enough to allow the parser to find the "en-
coding" attribute without too much trouble...  except for the de-
fault encoding, the same approach should work for python)

</F>