[Python-Dev] Object customization (was: Arbitrary attributes on funcs and methods)

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 04:12:08 -0500

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> so it's no longer an experimental feature, it's a "static variables"
> thing?
>
> umm.   I had nearly changed my mind to a "okay, if you insist +1",
> but now it's back to -1 again.  maybe in Py3K...

I think that we get 95% of the benefit without any of the "dangers"
(though I don't agree with the arguments against) if we allow the
attachment of properties only at compile time and disallow mutation of
them at runtime. That will allow Spark, EventDOM, multi-lingual
docstrings etc., but disallow static variables. I'm not agreeing that
using function properties as static variables is a bad thing...I'm just
saying that we might be able to agree on a less powerful mechanism and
then revisit the more general one in Py3K.

Let's not forget that Py3K is going to be a very hard exercise in trying
to combine everyone's ideas "all at once". Experience gained now is
golden. We should probably be more amenable to "experimental ideas" now
-- secure in the knowledge that they can be killed off in Py3K. If we
put ideas we are not 100% comfortable with in Py3K we will be stuck with
them forever.

"Ivory towers are no longer in order. We need ivory
networks. Today, sitting quietly and thinking is the
world's greatest generator of wealth and prosperity."
 - http://www.bespoke.org/viridian/print.asp?t=140