[Python-Dev] Object customization (was: Arbitrary attributes on funcs and methods)

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 23:21:59 +0200 (CEST)

Gordon McMillan wrote:

> Ah. I see. Quite simply, you're arguing from First Principles

Exactly.

I think that these principles play an important role in the area
of computer programming, because they put the markers in the
evolution of our thoughts when we're trying to transcript the
real world through formal computer terms. No kidding :-)
So we need to put some limits before loosing completely these
driving markers. No kidding.

> in an area where I have none.

too bad for you <wink>

> I used to, but I found that all systems built from First Principles
> (Eiffel, Booch's methodology...) yielded 3 headed monsters.

Yes. This is the state Python tends to reach, btw. I'd like to avoid
this madness.

Put simply, if we loose the meaning of the notion of a class of objects,
there's no need to have a 'class' keyword, because it would do more harm
than good.

> Personally, I regard (dynamic instance.attribute) as a handy feature

Gordon, I know that it's handy!

> not as a flaw in the object model.

if we still pretend there is one...

--