[Python-Dev] Object customization

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 08:56:44 +0200 (CEST)

Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     Vladimir> Has anybody noticed that 'fraction' is a float I wanted to
>     Vladimir> qualify with a 'precision' attribute?
>
> Quick comment before I rush home...  There is a significant cost to be had
> by adding attributes to numbers (ints at least).  They can no longer be
> shared in the int cache.  I think the runtime size increase would be pretty
> huge, as would the extra overhead in creating all those actual (small)
> IntObjects instead of sharing a single copy.

I know that. Believe it or not, I have a good image of the cost it would
infer, better than yours. because I've thought about this problem (as well
as other related problems yet to be 'discovered'), and have spent some
time in the past trying to find a couple of solutions to them.

However, I eventually decided to stop my time machine and wait for
these issues to show up, then take a stance on them. And this is what
I did in this case.

I'm tired to lack good arguments and see incoming capitalized words.
This makes no sense here. Go to c.l.py and repeat "we're all adults here"
*there*, please.

To close this chapter, I think that if this gets in, Python's user base
will get more confused and would have to swallow yet another cheap
gimmick. You won't be able to explain it well to them. They won't
really understand it, because their brains are still young, inexperienced,
looking for logical explanations where all notions coexist peacefully.

In the long term, what you're pushing for to get your money quickly,
isn't a favor.

And that's why I maintain my vote.

call-me-again-if-you-need-more-than-53'ly y'rs
--
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr