[Python-Dev] comp.lang.python.announce

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@cnri.reston.va.us
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 11:40:10 -0400 (EDT)

As many of you have probably noticed, the moderators of
comp.lang.python.announce do not deal with pending messages in a
timely manner.  There have been no new posts since Mar 27, and
delays of several weeks were common before then.

I wanted to ask a smallish group of potential readers of this group
what we should do about the problem.  I have tried to contact the
moderators several times, but haven't heard a peep from them since
late February, when the response was: "Sorry.  Temporary problem.
It's all fixed now."

Three possible solutions come to mind:

- Get more moderators.  It appears that Marcus Fleck is the only
active moderator.  I have never received a response to private email
sent to Vladimir Ulogov.  I suggested to Marcus that we get more
moderators, but he appeared to reject the idea.  Perhaps some peer
pressure from other unsatisfied readers would help.

- De-couple the moderation of comp.lang.python.announce and of
python-annouce@python.org.  We could keep the gateway between the
lists going, but have different moderators for the mailing list.  This
would be less convenient for people who prefer to read news, but would
at least get announcement out in a timely fashion.

- Give up on comp.lang.python.announce.  Since moderation has been so
spotty, most people have reverted to making all anouncements to
comp.lang.python anyway.  This option is unfortunate, because it makes
it harder for people who don't have time to read comp.lang.python to
keep up with announcements.

Any other ideas?  Suggestions on how to proceed?

Jeremy