[Thread-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] baby steps for free-threading

gvwilson@nevex.com gvwilson@nevex.com
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 11:03:17 -0400 (EDT)

> Rich Salz wrote:
> I would much rather see the language extended to indicate that a
> particular variable is "shared" across free-threaded interpreters. The
> hit of taking a mutex on every incref/decref is way bad.

In my experience, allowing/requiring programmers to specify sharedness is
a very rich source of hard-to-find bugs.  (Not saying I have an answer to
the performance hit of locking on incref/decref, just saying that the
development cost of 'shared' is very high.)

Greg