[Python-Dev] RE: marking shared-ness

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:52:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Salz, Rich wrote:
> >Consider the case where a programmer forgets to note the sharedness. He
> >passes the object to another thread. At certain points: BAM! The
> >interpreter dumps core.
>
> No. Using the "owning thread" idea prevents coredumps and allows the
> interpreter to throw an exception.  Perhaps my note wasn't clear
> enough?

INCREF and DECREF cannot throw exceptions.

Are there other points where you could safely detect erroneous sharing of
objects? (in a guaranteed fashion)

For example: what are all the ways that objects can be transported between
threads. Can you erect tests at each of those points? I believe "no" since
there are too many ways (func arg or an item in a shared ob).

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/