[Thread-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Re: marking shared-ness

gvwilson@nevex.com gvwilson@nevex.com
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 13:27:49 -0400 (EDT)

> On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Sean Jensen_Grey wrote:
> http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~alan/javapp.html
> Take a look at the above link. It merges the Occam model with Java and uses
> 'channel based' interfaces (not sure exactly what this is).

Channel-based programming has been called "the revenge of the goto", as
in, "Where the hell does this channel go to?"  Programmers must manage
conversational continuity manually (i.e. keep track of the origins of
messages, so that they can be replied to).  It also doesn't really help
with the sharing problem that started this thread: if you want a shared
integer, you have to write a little server thread that knows how to act
like a semaphore, and then it read/write requests that are exactly
equivalent to P and V operations (and subject to all the same abuses). Oh,
and did I mention the joys of trying to draw a semi-accurate diagram of
the plumbing in your program after three months of upgrade work?

*shudder*

Greg