[Python-Dev] fun with unicode, part 1

Thu, 27 Apr 2000 08:00:18 -0400 (EDT)

Fredrik Lundh writes:
>M.A. Lemburg wrote:
>> Where is the problem ?
>I'm speechless.

Ummm... since I'm not sure how open() currently reacts to being passed
a Unicode file or if there's something special in open() for Windows,
and don't know how you think it should react (an exception? fold to
UTF-8?  fold to Latin1?), I don't see what the particular problem is
either.

For the sake of people who haven't followed this debate closely, or
who were busy during the earlier lengthy threads and simply deleted
most of the messages, please try to be explicit.  Ilya Zakharevich on
the perl5-porters mailing list often employs the "This code is buggy
and if you're too clueless to see how it's broken *I* certainly won't
go explaining it to you" strategy, to devastatingly divisive effect,
and with little effectiveness in getting the bugs fixed.  Let's not go
down that road.

--amk