[Python-Dev] PEP 203 Augmented Assignment

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue, 01 Aug 2000 12:01:45 +1200 (NZST)

> The way I understand this, mixing indices and slices is used all
> the time to reduce the dimensionality of an array.

I wasn't really suggesting that they should be disallowed.
I was trying to point out that their existence makes it
hard to draw a clear distinction between indexing and slicing.

If it were the case that

was always equivalent to

then there would be no problem -- you could consider each
subscript individually as either an index or a slice. But
that's not the way it is.