[Python-Dev] Should repr() of string should observe locale?

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue, 01 Aug 2000 12:07:08 +1200 (NZST)

Tim Peters:

> The problem isn't that repr sticks in backslash escapes, the problem is that
> repr gets called when repr is inappropriate.

Seems like we need another function that does something in
between str() and repr(). It would be just like repr() except
that it wouldn't put escape sequences in strings unless
absolutely necessary, and it would apply this recursively
to sub-objects.

Not sure what to call it -- goofy() perhaps :-)