[Python-Dev] BeOpen statement about Python license

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Tue, 01 Aug 2000 23:42:30 -0500

Bob Weiner, BeOpen's CTO, has this to say about the Python license:

  Here's the official word from BeOpen.com regarding any potential
  license change on Python 1.6 (the last CNRI Python release) and
  subsequent versions:

    The Python license is fully open source compliant, as certified by
    the Open Source Initiative.  That means that if you look at
    www.opensource.org/osd.html, then this license complies with those
    9 precepts, allowing broad freedom of use, distribution and
    modification.

    The Python license will continue to allow fully proprietary
    software development.

    The license issues are down to one point which we are working to
    resolve together with CNRI and involving potential
    GPL-compatibility.  It is a small point regarding a requirement
    that the license be interpreted under the terms of Virginia law.
    One lawyer has said that this doesn't affect GPL-compatibility but
    Richard Stallman of the FSF has felt differently; he views it as a
    potential additional restriction of rights beyond those listed in
    the GPL.  So work continues to resolve on this point before the
    license is published or attached to any code.  We are presently
    waiting for follow-up from Stallman on this point.

  In summary, BeOpen.com is actively working to keep Python the
  extremely open platform it has traditionally been and to resolve
  legal issues such as this in ways that benefit Python users
  worldwide.  CNRI is working along the same lines as well.

  Please assure yourselves and your management that Python continues
  to allow for both open and closed software development.

  Regards,

  Bob Weiner

I (Guido) hope that this, together with the draft license text that I
just posted, clarifies matters for now!  I'll post more news as it
happens,

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)