[Python-Dev] Winreg recap

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Wed, 02 Aug 2000 11:43:05 +0200

> I specifically asked everyone here if an abstraction was a good idea. I
> got three + votes and no - votes. One of the + votes requested that we
> still ship the underlying module. Fine. I was actually pointed (on
> python-dev) to specs for an abstraction layer that AFAIK had been
> designed *on Python-dev*.

This point I very much agree to: if we can abstract 90% of the use cases of
the registry (while still giving access to the other 10%) in a clean interface
we can implement the same interface for Mac preference files, unix dot-files,
X resources, etc.

A general mechanism whereby a Python program can get at a persistent setting
that may have factory defaults, installation overrides and user overrides, and
that is implemented in the logical way on each platform would be very powerful.

The initial call to open the preference database(s) and give identity
information as to which app you are, etc is probably going to be machine
dependent, but from that point on there should be a single API.