[Python-Dev] Still no new license -- but draft text available

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Wed, 02 Aug 2000 17:16:06 +0200

I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with point 3. Depending on how you define
"derivative work" and "make available" it could cause serious problems.

I assume that this clause is meant so that it is clear that MacPython and
PythonWin and other such versions may be based on CNRI Python but are not the
same. However, if you're building a commercial application that uses Python as
its implementation language this "indication of modifications" becomes rather
a long list. Just imagine that a C library came with such a license ("Anyone
incorporating this C library or part thereof in their application should
indicate the differences between their application and this C library":-).

Point 2 has the same problem to a lesser extent, the sentence starting with
"Python ... is made available subject to the terms and conditions..." is fine
for a product that is still clearly recognizable as Python, but would look
silly if Python is just used as the implementation language.