[Python-Dev] Preventing 1.5 extensions crashing under 1.6/2.0 Python

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 01:13:30 +0200

> Yes indeed once the story of 1.6 and 2.0 is out I expect folks
> will skip 1.6.   For example, if your win32 stuff is not ported then
> Python 1.6 is not usable on Windows/NT.

"not usable"?

guess you haven't done much cross-platform development lately...

> Change the init function name to a new name PythonExtensionInit_ say.
> Pass in the API version for the extension writer to check. If the
> version is bad for this extension returns without calling any python

huh?  are you seriously proposing to break every single C extension
ever written -- on each and every platform -- just to trap an error
message caused by extensions linked against 1.5.2 on your favourite
platform?

> Small code change in python core. But need to tell extension writers
> what the new interface is and update all extensions within the python
> CVS tree.

you mean "update the source code for all extensions ever written."

-1