[Python-Dev] METH_VARARGS

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 22:51:23 -0400 (EDT)

Skip Montanaro writes:
 > While METH_VARARGS is obviously a lot better than a hardcoded 1, shouldn't
 > METH_VARARGS be something like Py_METH_VARARGS or PY_METH_VARARGS to avoid
 > potential conflicts with other packages?

  I think so, but there are too many third party extension modules
that would have to be changed to not also offer the old symbols as
well.  I see two options: leave things as they are, and provide both
versions of the symbols through at least Python 2.1.  For the later,
all examples in the code and documentation would need to be changed
and the non-PY_ versions strongly labelled as deprecated and going
away in Python version 2.2 (or whatever version it would be).
  It would *not* hurt to provide both symbols and change all the
examples, at any rate.  Aside from deleting all the checkin email,
that is!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>