[Python-Dev] New winreg module really an improvement?

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Fri, 04 Aug 2000 11:52:11 -0400

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> how about letting _winreg export all functions with their
> win32 names, and adding a winreg.py which looks some-
> thing like this:
>
>     from _winreg import *
>
>     class Key:
>
>     HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT = Key(...)

To me, that would defeat the purpose. Have you looked at the "*"
exported by _winreg? The whole point is to impose some organization on
something that is totally disorganized (because that's how the C module
is).

"I don't want you to describe to me -- not ever -- what you were doing
to that poor boy to make him sound like that; but if you ever do it
again, please cover his mouth with your hand," Grandmother said.
	-- John Irving, "A Prayer for Owen Meany"