[Python-Dev] Re: Python 2.0 and Stackless

Christian Tismer tismer@appliedbiometrics.com
Sun, 06 Aug 2000 17:22:39 +0200

Moshe Zadka wrote:

> > - implement coroutines and others with Stackless for CPython
>
> I think that should be done in a third-party module. But hey, if Guido
> wants to maintain another module...

Right, like now. CPython has the necessary stackless hooks, nuts
and bolts, but nothing else, and no speed impact.

Then is just happens to be *possible* to write such an extension,
and it will be written, but this is no language feature.

> > - do *not* make continuations a standard language feature until
> >   there is a portable way to get it everywhere
>
> I'd got further and say "do *not* make continuations a standard language
> feature" <wink>

This was my sentence, in the first place, but when reviewing
the message, I could not resist to plug that in again <1.5 wink>

As discussed in a private thread with Just, some continuation
features can only be made "nice" if they are supported by
some language extension. I want to use Python in CS classes
to teach them continuations, therefore I need a backdoor :-)

and-there-will-always-be-a-version-on-my-site-that-goes-
   -beyond-the-standard - ly y'rs  - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@appliedbiometrics.com>