[Python-Dev] Stackless Python - Pros and Cons

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Mon, 07 Aug 2000 16:23:14 +0200

> > Let me make sure I understand: If I invoke a continuation when there
> > are extra C stack frames between the mainloop invocation that captured
> > the continuation and the call of the continuation, the interpreter
> > raises an exception?
>
> Not always. Frames which are not currently bound by an
> interpreter acting on them can always be jump targets.
> Only those frames which are currently in the middle of
> an opcode are forbidden.

And how about the reverse? If I'm inside a Python callback from C code, will
the Python code be able to use continuations? This is important, because there
are a lot of GUI applications where almost all code is executed within a C
callback. I'm pretty sure (and otherwise I'll be corrected within
milliseconds:-) that this is the case for MacPython IDE and PythonWin (don't
know about Idle).