[Python-Dev] Adding library modules to the core

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 00:23:35 +0200

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 06:13:02PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

[ You didn't ask for votes on all these, but the best thing I can do is
vote :-]

> 1. Has anybody got a vote on the menubrowser framwork facility I described?

+0. I don't see any harm in adding it, but I can't envision a use for it,
myself.

> I have in mind things like mimectl,

+1. A nice complement to the current mime and message handling routines.

> PIL,

+0. The main reason I don't compile PIL myself is because it's such a hassle
to do it each time, so I think adding it would be nice. However, I'm not
sure if it's doable to add, whether it would present a lot of problems for
'strange' platforms and the like.

> and Vladimir's shared-memory module.

+1. Fits very nicely with the mmapmodule, even if it's supported on less
platforms.

But perhaps all this falls in the 'batteries included' PEP ? Or perhaps a
new PEP, 'enriching the Standard Library' ?

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>