[Python-Dev] Adding library modules to the core

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 00:38:39 +0200

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 06:39:30PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>:
> > But perhaps all this falls in the 'batteries included' PEP ? Or perhaps a
> > new PEP, 'enriching the Standard Library' ?

> I think that leads in a sub-optimal direction.  Adding suitable modules
> shouldn't be a one-shot or episodic event but a continuous process of
> incorporating the best work the community has done.

That depends on what the PEP does. PEPs can do two things (according to the
PEP that covers PEPs :): argue for a new feature/addition to the Python
language, or describe a standard or procedure of some sort. This PEP could
perhaps do both: describe a standard procedure for proposing and accepting a
new module in the library (and probably also removal, though that's a lot
trickier) AND do some catching-up on that process to get a few good modules
into the stdlib before 2.0 goes into a feature freeze (which is next week,
by the way.)

As for the procedure to add a new module, I think someone volunteering to
'adopt' the module and perhaps a few people reviewing it would about do it,
for the average module. Giving people a chance to say 'no!' of course.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>