[Python-Dev] Adding library modules to the core

Mark Hammond MarkH@ActiveState.com
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:36:24 +1000

> Guido asked if this was similar to the TreeWidget class in IDLE.  I
> investigated and discovered that it is not, and told him so.  I am left
> with a couple of related questions:
>
> 1. Has anybody got a vote on the menubrowser framwork facility I
> described?

I would have to give it a -1.  It probably should only be a -0, but I
dropped it a level in the interests of keeping the library small and
relevant.

In a nutshell, it is proposed as a "framework class for abstract browser
objects", but I don't see how.  It looks like a reasonable framework for a
particular kind of browser built for a text based system.  I can not see
how a GUI browser could take advantage of it.

For example:
* How does a "page" concept make sense in a high-res GUI?  Why do we have a
stack of pages?
* What is a "viewport height" - is that a measure of pixels?  If not, what
font are you assuming?  (sorry - obviously rhetorical, given my "text only"
comments above.)
* How does a "thumb position" relate to scroll bars that existing GUI
widgets almost certainly have.

etc.

While I am sure you find it useful, I don't see how it helps anyone else,
so I dont see how it qualifies as a standard module.

If it is designed as part of a "curses" package, then I would be +0 - I
would happily defer to your (or someone elses) judgement regarding its
relevance in that domain.

Obviously, there is a reasonable chance I am missing the point....

Mark.