[Python-Dev] Library pragma in PC/config.h

Rene Liebscher R.Liebscher@gmx.de
Tue, 08 Aug 2000 11:26:47 +0200

Greg Ward wrote:

> On 04 August 2000, Mark Hammond said:
> > I would prefer python20_bcpp.lib, but that is not an issue.
>
> Good suggestion: the contents of the library are more important than the
> format.  Rene, can you make this change and include it in your next
> patch?  Or did you have some hidden, subtle reson for "bcpp_python20" as
> opposed to "python20_bcpp"?
OK, it is no problem to change it.

> > I am a little confused by the intention, tho.  Wouldnt it make sense to
> > have Borland builds of the core create a Python20.lib, then we could keep
> > the pragma in too?
> >
> > If people want to use Borland for extensions, can't we ask them to use that
> > same compiler to build the core too?  That would seem to make lots of the
> > problems go away?
>
> But that requires people to build all of Python from source, which I'm
> guessing is a bit more bothersome than building an extension or two from
> source.  Especially since Python is already distributed as a very
> easy-to-use binary installer for Windows, but most extensions are not.
>
> Rest assured that we probably won't be making things *completely*
> painless for those who do not toe Chairman Bill's party line and insist
> on using "non-standard" Windows compilers.  They'll probably have to get
> python20_bcpp.lib (or python20_gcc.lib, or python20_lcc.lib) on their
> own -- whether downloaded or generated, I don't know.  But the
> alternative is to include 3 or 4 python20_xxx.lib files in the standard
> Windows distribution, which I think is silly.
(GCC uses libpython20.a)
It is not necessary to include the libraries for all compilers. The only
thing what is necessary is a def-file for the library. Every compiler I
know has a program to create a import library from a def-file.
BCC55 can even convert python20.lib in its own format. (The program is
called "coff2omf". BCC55 uses the OMF format for its libraries which is
different of MSVC's COFF format. (This answers your question, Tim?))
Maybe it should be there a file in the distribution, which explains what
to do
if someone wants to use another compiler, especially how to build a
import
library for this compiler or at least some general information what you
need to do.
( or should it be included in the 'Ext' documentation. )

kind regards

Rene Liebscher