[Python-Dev] Library pragma in PC/config.h

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 17:35:24 +0200

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 08:26:03AM -0700, Trent Mick wrote:

[ Discussion about what to call the Borland version of python20.dll:
  bcpp_python20.dll or python20_bcpp.dll. Rene brought up that gcc calls
  "its" library libpython.so, and Thomas points out that that isn't Python's
  decision. ]

> Yes, you are right. I was being a Windows bigot there for an email. :)

And rightly so ! :) I think the 'python20_bcpp' name is more Windows-like,
and if there is some area in which Python should try to stay as platform
specific as possible, it's platform specifics such as libraries :)

Would Windows users(*) when seeing 'bcpp_python20.dll' be thinking "this is a
bcpp specific library of python20", or would they be thinking "this is a
bcpp library for use with python20" ? I'm more inclined to think the second,
myself :-)

*) And the 'user' in this context is the extention-writer and
python-embedder, of course.
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>